Pratap Padode, Founder & Director Smart Cities Council India
- A chartered accountant by qualification, Pratap Padode, has specialised in financial research when he set up Corporate & Economic Research Centre in 1986 and developed financial models to evaluate corporate performance.
- He pioneered equity research in India by launching India’s most successful specialised equity journal. He is the founder of ASAPP Info Global Group and his passion for infrastructure over last 17 years is reflected in the innovative thought leadership through ten specialised magazines, conferences & awards organised in the fields of construction, infrastructure & engineering.
- Further he is the President of FIRST (Foundation of Infrastructure Research Studies Training) which was set up in 2003, that brings out research reports and newsletters on various infrastructure segments. His research encompasses construction, infrastructure, real estate, economy and finance sectors.
- He has received the award for his research in the construction sector at CIDC Vishwakarma Awards 2010 at the hands of Dr C Rangarajan, Chairman of Prime Minister’s Economic Advisory Committee.
- Since early 2014 he has been promoting the move to smart, sustainable cities and contributing to Smart Cities Council Partners’ business success through advocacy and action, as the Founder Director of the Smart Cities Council India
- President of FIRST (Foundation of Infrastructure Research Studies Training) since 2003
- Founder & Director : Smart Cities Council India since May 2015
- Managing Director, ASAPP Info Global Group since May 1999
- 2010: Awarded for research in the construction sector at CIDC Vishwakarma Awards by Dr C Rangarajan, Chairman of Prime Minister’s Economic Advisory Committee
Honors & awards
PR Jaishankar, Chief General Manager IIFCL
- P R Jaishankar is presently Chief General Manager in IIFCL. Having joined the company in May 2011, he has been looking after Infrastructure Project Finance, New Product Development, Credit Enhancement, Corporate Planning, HRD and CSR. He has also worked as a CEO of IIFCL Projects Ltd and is presently on the Board of the company. Before joining IIFCL, he worked with National Housing Bank (NHB) for over two decades.
- He is well known for having conceptualised and structured the first ever mortgage securitisation transaction in India, followed by a number of other innovative instruments/products such as credit enhancement and takeout finance. He has pursued an M Tech from IIT Delhi and is an MBA from FMS, Delhi.
Shirish Garud, Director and Senior Fellow TERI
- Shirish Garud, Director and Senior Fellow, Energy-Environment Technology Development Division, TERI, has more than two decades of experience in the renewable energy sector and is a well-known specialist in renewable energy technologies, energy planning and renewable energy policy studies.
- He has rich experience in solar and wind resource assessment, technology development, and deployment. Some of his major assignments include development of vacuum tube collectors, development of solar parabolic trough collectors, designing of solar power plants and designing & implementation of one of the world’s largest solar water heating system of 120 m3/day capacity for the fertilizer industry. He has also worked on solar PV technologies and island electrification projects using solar PV technology.
- He was part of the UNEP-funded multi-country project SWERA (Solar and Wind Resource Assessment) which mapped solar and wind resources for countries in Asia and Africa.
- He has led a multi-activity flagship project on ‘Integrated Energy Management Master Plan for Bhutan’ which was a cornerstone project for the Government of Bhutan. The project covered energy data collection, assessment and development of a Web-based system for energy data collection, analysis and publishing. He was also co-editor of the Royal Government of Bhutan’s first official Energy Data Directory 2005 and Integrated Energy Management Master Plan for Bhutan.
- He is an acknowledged and certified trainer and expert on RETScreen software, developed for renewable energy project feasibility studies.
- He has also contributed towards major policy initiatives in India including the development of REC (Renewable Energy Certificate) mechanism.
- He headed the South East Asia Secretariat of REEEP (Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Partnership, UK), for two years during which REEEP funded various projects in renewable energy and energy efficiency.
- He is a mechanical engineer with an M Tech (Energy Systems Engineering) from IIT Bombay. He loves travelling and trekking.
Prafulla Pathak, Secretary General, Solar Energy Society of India
- He has industry experience of 24 years, mainly in the power sector at various levels, which includes Operations & Maintenance, Project Development and erection & commissioning of power plants.
- He was a key person in Management Information System development and implementation of Fuel Management and Monitoring in the power sector.
- He is based in New Delhi and currently acting as a nodal officer between various ministries, financial institutions like World Bank, PFC, REC, KFW Bank and power sector companies under the Government of Maharashtra, since 2010.
- He is active in promoting and advocating renewable energy through the Solar Energy Society of India.
- Pathak is also associated with the Institution of Engineers, Indian Society for Technical Education and Rotary International.
Vinay Rustagi, Managing Director, Bridge to India Energy Private Ltd
- Rustagi has been working as Managing Director at Bridge to India since August 2013. He advises companies, institutions and policymakers on a vast range of strategic, policy, financial and business development challenges in the Indian solar market.
- He is passionate about developing successful, profitable and sustainable business models that solve India’s energy problems without having an adverse impact on the environment.
- Prior to this, he worked at Standard Chartered Bank as Senior Director, Project Finance, South Asia, and financed a number of wind and solar projects in India. Other previous job stints include working at National Australia Bank and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation where he was responsible for debt financing of big-ticket infrastructure and energy projects.
- Rustagi holds an MBA from London Business School and IIM Ahmedabad in addition to a BE (Mechanical) from Delhi College of Engineering.
Preetam D’Souza, Partner, Kochhar & Co
- D’Souza started his career in a corporate legal firm in Bengaluru, where he advised and assisted various European clients in connection with their operations and transactions in India. He also handled several assignments in the areas of corporate and commercial laws.
- He has since assisted various multinational companies in setting up their businesses in India. These assignments have included negotiating with proposed joint venture partners and providing advice and assistance in preparation of documents for various transactions. In relation to these transactions, he has also been involved in conducting due diligence on target companies in India.
- D’Souza has extensive experience in handling all kinds of real estate transactions including extremely large and complex construction, design and build transactions.
- Apart from the initial advice on structuring a transaction, the work has included title verification of immovable property, negotiations and preparation of documentation, advice on regulatory issues, risk analysis in relation to non-compliant companies, real estate related litigation, tax structuring of real estate transactions, construction agreements, leasing agreements, service level agreements for facilities management, etc.
- Apart from the real estate and regulatory practice, he has also advised and assisted several multinational companies on various issues involving exchange control, corporate, contract and labour-related laws. His expertise extends to assisting clients on preparation and review of service level agreements, documents in relation to recruitment and termination of services of employees, vendors, etc.
- D’Souza has assisted clients in handling high-stake disputes, including advice on litigation strategy and risk management. He has also handled criminal matters involving extensive interaction with the police.
Santosh Janakiram, Partner Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas
- Santosh Janakiram is a Partner and head of Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas’ Projects Group and previously was a Partner in Amarchand & Mangaldas & Suresh A Shroff & Co, India's largest and foremost law firm. He was admitted to the Bar after receiving his BA LLB degree from the National Law School of India University in Bengaluru.
- Janakiram has rich experience in projects, banking, project financing, structured financing, acquisition financing and private equity and represents developers, sponsors, lenders and contractors in infrastructure and project finance transactions. He is involved in various infrastructure sectors, including energy, transportation and mining. Janakiram has led the firm’s development of the renewable energy practice in the last few years whereby the firm has emerged as the pre-eminent firm in the sector in India.
- He has acted on a number of landmark transactions, including advising the Indian lenders on the restructuring of the Dabhol Power Project and advising the syndicate of lenders including State Bank of India, International Finance Corporation, Asian Development Bank and other national and international financial agencies in the 4,000 MW Mundra Ultra-mega Power Project which is the first project to be financed by offshore lenders post-Dabhol. He has also advised the Adani Group in relation to their Carmichael coal (mine, rail and port) project in Queensland, Australia.
- Janakiram has significant expertise in advising promoters, developers and private equity investors in respect of investments in renewable energy projects. His key experience includes advising clients such as GE Capital Services India in relation to acquisition of a stake in the wind power business of Greenko Group Plc in India; Ahana Renewables in its acquisition of projects being developed by Armstrong Energy Group, UK; GE Energy Financial Services in relation to its investment in a joint platform investment company with Ecoren Energy India Private Limited and its investment in the subsidiaries of the Mytrah Group and the Atria Group; the SunEdison Group on its acquisition of Sunborne Energy Andhra Private Limited; RT Renewable Energy Private Limited; Focal Photovoltaic India Private Limited and Focal Renewable Energy Two India Private Limited; the Indian wind platform of Continuum Wind Energy and joint venture with Omnigrid Micropower Company Private Limited; Renew Power Ventures Private Limited in relation to equity investments from Goldman Sachs; Asian Development Bank and Global Environment Fund.
- He has in-depth experience in banking and finance transactions ranging from acquisition financing, debt funding, refinancing, secured and unsecured credit facilities, mezzanine financing, project financing to advising banks on regulatory matters.
- Janakiram has acted for lenders (including domestic and foreign lenders and multilateral institutions of repute such as Asian Development Bank, International Finance Corporation, Standard Chartered Bank, DBS Bank Limited, United States Export and Import Bank, Overseas Private Investment Corporation, United States Agency for International Development, Coöperatieve Centrale Raiffeisen Oerenleenbank BA (Rabobank), Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited, Nederlandse Financierings-Maatschappij Voor Ontwikkelingslanden N.V., Eksport Kredit Finansiering (Denmark), Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation, State Bank of India, ICICI Bank Limited and Axis Bank) as well as the developers and their sponsors and investors (such as SoftBank Group, Equis Funds Group, Enel and BLP Group, Greenko Group and China Light and Power and their Indian subsidiaries) for various renewable energy projects in the wind, solar and hydro power sector, being set up across India.
- He has extensive experience in engineering, procurement, construction, operation and maintenance contracts, relating to large-scale projects in solar (including micro and mini grids), wind, road, transport, and other sectors. He has represented not only the developers and project sponsors in the infrastructure, renewables and energy sectors, but has also advised the contractors and the suppliers. He also has in-depth experience in advising on various aspects relating to such project contracts and has acted for industry majors such as Softbank Group, Ahana Renewables LLC, SunEdison Solar Power India Private Limited, Omnigrid Micropower Company Private Limited, Senvion Group, Skypower Group, Energon Soleq India Power Private Limited (a part of the Equis Funds Group), Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services Limited, Azure Power India Private Limited, Energon KN Wind Power Private Limited (a part of the Equis Funds Group), Orange Jaisalmer Wind Energy Private Limited, Orange Maha Wind Energy Private Limited, STMicroroelectronics NV and Sterling &Wilson Private Limited, Vestas India, N Wind.
Tarun Kapoor, Principal Secretary, Environment and Forest , Govt. of Himachal Pradesh
- Mr.Tarun Kapoor is presently working as Principal Secretary (1) Forests (2) Food Civil Supplies and Consumer Affairs (3) Excise and Taxation (4) Environment, Science and Technology of Government of Himachal Pradesh.
- He is a Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical) with Masters in Business Administration. He worked in the private sector for two years before joining theIndian Administrative Service in 1987.
- Mr.Tarun Kapoor has vast experience in power sector. He worked as Director in Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam Ltd. for 4½ years from 2001 to 2006. This was the time when India’s largest hydro project of 1500 MW capacity was commissioned by this organization. He also worked for 3½ years as Managing Director of Himachal Pradesh Power Corporation Ltd which is engaged in developing of more than 3000 MW of hydro power projects. He also held charge of Managing Director of the State Transmission Corporation and Director of Department of Energy in the State Government. He has been involved in relief and rehabilitation of several other hydro-electric projects in his capacity as District Magistrate and other field postings.
- He worked as Joint Secretary in the Ministry of New & Renewable Energy in Government of India from May 2011 to August 2016. He was in-charge of National Solar Mission in India and was responsible for national level policy, implementation of various schemes and other programmes for development of renewable energy particular solar power in India. He has played a key role in development of solar sector in India. Solar power installations in India have crossed 8200 MW from just 2 MW in 2011. He was also instrumental in the creation of Solar Energy Corporation of India, which is now taking a leading role in Indian solar sector.